Special Head Temple of the Tendai sect / The 33-sacred Temple Kannon Pilgrimage Route in Saigoku

Shoshazan Engyoji Temple

The Layout of Temple Buildings

back to page top

The Inner Sanctuary : Kaizan-do / 開山堂

Kaizan-do
Kaizan-doKaizan-doKaizan-do

As told by the chronicles of Engyoji Temple, Shoku Shonin (Priest Shoku), a founder of the temple, died in 1007 (Kanko 4th yr), and in the same year his devout disciple, Ensho, established Kaizan-do in honor of his master.

Kaizan-do was destroyed by fire in 1286 (Koan 9th yr), but was rebuilt in 1288 (Sho-o 1st yr).

Later, Oku-no-in (the Inner Sanctuary) was redeveloped, and the Kaizan-do seen today was built in 1673 (Kambun 13th yr). It is renowned as one of the representative structures of the Founder’s Hall in the early Edo period.

A torch has burned continuously for more than 1000 years in Kanzan-do, the core inner sanctuary of Engyoji Temple, as a symbol of the thousand-year-history Shosha-zan (Mt. Shosha).

In addition, “Gongyo” - a Buddhist ceremony - is performed every morning and evening.

A well-known tradition says there used to be four sculptures of Sumo wrestlers by Hidari Jingoro, a legendary sculptor and carpenter, on the four corners of the eaves, but later the wrestler on the northwest corner could no longer bear its weight and fled, leaving only three.

a National Important Cultural Property

Shoku Shonin / 性空上人像

TBA...

back to page top

About Engyoji
Temple Seal
Temple_Buildings
Mani-den
Dai-ko-do
Jiki-do
Jogyo-do
Kaizan-do
Goho-do
Goho-do_Hai-den
Honda_Family
Kongo-do
Yakushi-do
Jumyo-in
Sanjyu-san-sho-do
Nio-mon
Juryo-in
Schedule
Access

feature

Shoku Shonin

Shoku Shonin

TBA

[ more...]