Special Head Temple of the Tendai sect / The 33-sacred Temple Kannon Pilgrimage Route in Saigoku

Shoshazan Engyoji Temple

The Layout of Temple Buildings

back to page top

Nio-mon / 仁王門

Nio-mon
Nio-mon

Through this imposing gate, one enters the sacred ground of the Engyoji Temple complex and is the final point on the east hill temple approach.

Nio-zo, statues of two guardians of Buddhism, stand on both sides of the gate.

Dating from the beginning of the Edo period (1603-1868), it was reconstructed in 1665 (Kambun 5th yr).

The architectural style of this gate is called “Mitsu-mune-zukuri (a Three-ridge style) because this gate looks as if it has three ridges: two on the ceiling and one outside as the roof.

a Cultural Property designated by Hyogo Prefecture

Nio-zo / 仁王像

Nio-zo, statues of two guardians of Buddhism, stand on both sides of the gate.

Ah-zo (the statue with its mouth in “Ah”-form) is on the right, and Um-zo (the statue with its mouth closed in “Um”-form) on the left as viewed from the front.

They guard the sacred ground as a pair with Ah-Um-no-kokyu (perfect synchronization).

a Cultural Properties designated by Himeji City

back to page top

About Engyoji
Temple Seal
Temple_Buildings
Mani-den
Dai-ko-do
Jiki-do
Jogyo-do
Kaizan-do
Goho-do
Goho-do_Hai-den
Honda_Family
Kongo-do
Yakushi-do
Jumyo-in
Sanjyu-san-sho-do
Nio-mon
Juryo-in
Schedule
Access

feature

Joroku-Amida-Nyorai-zazo

Joroku-Amida-Nyorai-zazo

Originally the principle Buddhist image of Ojo-in Temple which was once in the precincts of Engyoji Temple, Joroku-Amida-Nyorai-zazo (a seated statue of Amitabha Tathagatae) made by Anchin (one of the disciples of Priest Shoku) in 1005 (Kanko 2nd yr).

[ more...]